By the fifteenth century, the bourgeois of Bordeaux were able to acquire the finest properties in the region, which were initially referred to as the "Crus des Bourgeois" and then simply the "Crus Bourgeois".
In 1932, the Bordeaux wine brokers, under the joint authority of the Bordeaux Chamber of Commerce and the Gironde Chamber of Agriculture designated 444 Crus Bourgeois.
On 21 May 1962, a union of the Crus Bourgeois was created in Pauillac, it was managed by a board of directors with four members : Jean Nony, Jean Miailhe, Philippe Gasqueton and Max Cuvelier.
In 1966 and 1978 the Union organized an internal classification to promote a competitive spirit within the Crus Bourgeois.
In 1985, the Union created the Coupe des Crus Bourgeois du Médoc that was highly successful and was organized every year until 1999.
In 2000, the ministerial order of 30 November 2000 stipulated the rules for the organization of the Crus Bourgeois classification. The classification consisted of three quality categories : Crus Bourgeois Exceptionnels, Crus Bourgeois Supérieurs and Crus Bourgeois.
On 17 June 2003, a ministerial order approved the first official classification of the Crus Bourgeois du Médoc which recognized 247 châteaus out of 490 candidates.
In 2007, the Administrative Court of Appeal of Bordeaux annulled the Decree of 17 June 2003 that had approved the classification of the Crus Bourgeois du Médoc.
In 2009, the new quality assurance initiative set up by the Union was approved by the public authorities : the decree of 20 October 2009 and the ministerial order of 16 November 2009 authorized a qualitative selection procedure for the Crus Bourgeois du Médoc. The Crus Bourgeois du Médoc Official Selection has been published every year in September since 2010.
In 2011, the Coupe des Crus Bourgeois du Médoc was relaunched in a new format. It is organized every year in partnership with Le Point magazine.